Monday, May 24, 2010

introduction: the journey, not the destination

Post-Graduate Blues

I signed up for this blog 10 minutes ago because if I don't do something that makes me feel like I'm getting closer to my dreams of traveling, writing and taking pictures, I will scream, cry and go to work tomorrow a broken woman.
I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to make this blog all happy-go-lucky so that people will want to read it, but I have a B.A., not a B.S. (how's that for college humor?), and I don't know how to write what I don't feel.
Hi.
My name is Bryoney, and I am a 23-year-old black female living somewhere in the United States. (As I am pretty sure I'm the only 23-year-old black female living in the United States named Bryoney, I'm pretty sure I just gave anyone who's adroit with Google searches my address and social security number, but my credit's shot from student loans and credit cards--you don't want my identity).
I just graduated college with a B.A. in English this month, and I am freaking out. I just did the thing I spent my whole life trying to do, and now I've got to do something else.
I am going to be living overseas by this time next year, but I've gotta figure out how to get there.
I was born in the projects [see: government housing projects for people on government aid] to a 19-year-old mother and 20-year-old father. They stayed married juuuust long enough to have my brother before my mother took us and went to live with her sister and her sister's lesbian lover [see: "We sleep in the same bed because we're just really close friends"] [see also: I actually bought that all the way up until I was 10 and said some anti-gay remark and was told by my other aunt that I had a gay relative].
Long story short, I defied the odds and graduated college with no kids and pretty good grades. Not too shabby for a black girl raised by a single mom. But I'm greedy. I want to exchange my ticket aboard the gravy train [see: the other name for degrees] for a plane ticket and fly around the world.
I have no idea how to do this.
And this is what makes my travel blog so cool.
Maybe you don't want to know what makes this blog so different from the zillions of other travel blogs out there, but I'm the type of person who's different on purpose so I've got to know. My travel blog is different because I don't even have a passport yet. I haven't taken the GREs, I haven't subscribed to "The Happy Traveler" or whatever journal you're supposed to sign up for and I'm not sure which are the reputable online TESOL certification sites. Yet.
Read my blog because this is truly me at the beginning the second part of my life. This is like day16 of the Rest Of My Life, so come along for the ride. And please: comment! Post tips! If you know something I don't (which I'm sure is very, very likely) let me know, man.

1 comment:

  1. Bryoney,
    thanks for sharing your thoughts once again. In the same way that you've been inspired by me, I've been inspired by those who've been traveling also.

    http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html
    First, I would recommend applying for the Passport "book" online over the Passport card (you'll have pages available to collect cool stamps from different countries.

    www.bridgetefl.com
    This is the site that I used for my 120 hr certification. If the idea of teaching abroad strikes your fancy then I would highly recommend taking the masters course. I believe most require more than 100hrs.

    Finally, I would like to point out the fact that you seem to have very few ties to the states. This would be the perfect time to fly away. I have more to share, but I'll shell it out in doses if you'd like :-)

    ReplyDelete